Return to Finishing

Tips on using Bartley gel varnish

Come Learn With Us… Forums Finishing Tips on using Bartley gel varnish

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    bblackwell
    Participant

During one of the Woodworking Design Special Interest Group (WDSIG) meetings, one participant asked another to share their experience with using Bartley gel varnish. This discussion led to a third participant sharing their experiences with this product. It was agreed that participants 2 and 3 should each create a one page document with their recommendations. Eventually another AWA member with Bartley experience was asked to contribute. All three contributions are included and there are slight differences between them. Rather than try to get everyone to agree on a single procedure, it was decided to keep the three (slightly) different approaches separate because there is not single best way. If you have questions, contact Ben Blackwell (bblackwell13@comcast.net), Rich Lehoucq (rblehoucq@gmail.com), or Charlie Palmer (chpalmer234@gmail.com).

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.

On the example photos Charlie had on the PDF, was semi-gloss or satin used?  Or if not what was used?

cpalmer
      Participant

Regarding the varnish that I used on the chest in the photo:

I used Bartley Clear Coat Gel Varnish.  You can read about the Bartley products here:

http://www.lawrence-mcfadden.com/Bartley%20Brochure-LoRes.pdf

The Clear Coat Gel Varnish does not have a “gloss” rating (i.e, flat – satin – semigloss – gloss).  If you use only a couple of coats, you’ll get a dull finish, very much like an oil finish.  As you apply more coats, it will approach a satin finish, as in the two photographs in my portion of the PDF.  With a close grained wood such as maple or cherry, six coats will give you the lustrous satin finish.  For open grained woods like rosewood or walnut, you’ll need more coats; in the photo of the rosewood chest, I had 15 coats.

Attachments:
        You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.